Made4Math and Classroom TourJuly 16, 2012
To be efficient, I figured I’d combine my posts for @approx_normal’s request for classroom pictures and druin’s #Made4Math Mondays idea into one post. (Okay, I haven’t made anything yet, but I wanted to brag on my tables. Sue me.)
Here are my make-up folders. When students are absent, I take anything I handed out and make up a packet for each absent student. I write each student’s name on his packet and put it in that class’s folder; after that, it’s no longer my problem. Students know not to ask me for make-up work, but to check the folder. I use the blackboard to put the date (I use punch-out letters and numbers with magnetic tape on the back — pretty!), and the agendas for my two subjects. The bookshelf below is where I keep student supplies: hand sanitizer, kleenex, stapler, and hole punch.
I have 7 round tables with 4 chairs. Since I need seating for more than 28, I also brought in 4 desks. These are handy to have for students who can’t handle sitting with other students. Also, you can see my “circle project” that I have my Geometry students make each year. Along the ceiling, I have some fractal designs that my Algebra 3 students made last year.
Around our school mascot, I have some of my Wheel of Theodorus projects as well as some of my pipe cleaner and coffee stirrer polyhedra projects. (I made the large red stellated icosahedron from very cheap red straws. There’s also a small alien figure hanging upside-down in the middle of it because I named this piece the “Mother Ship”.)
I cannot begin to tell you how proud I am of my tables that I made them during the summer of 2010. Here is my post detailing the construction process and here is a post with bigger pictures. The tables have held up fairly well. I discovered early on that the 2×4 legs weren’t going to cut it–they became wobbly very quickly, so I changed them out for PVC pipe legs. The nice thing about the PVC legs is that it lets me break the tables down for the summer to let the cleaning crew more easily clean my carpet (which is what I did after taking these pictures). My current plans are to use my router to round over the top edges–they are really too sharp, and the kids keep picking off the edge trimming, and to tighten up the screws on the legs.
If any of y’all want instructions for any of the projects, just let me know.