Next YearJune 19, 2012
Ideas to be added as they come to me (complete with bulleted lists!):
- Use my BriteLink for warm-ups.
- This last year was the first year I did not regularly do warm-ups, and I think it went poorly. I really need to get the kids working on something right at the beginning of class. The problems I had with warm-ups were that (a) I was giving quizzes about every other day, and I wanted to use the warm-up time as the quiz time, and (b) it always seemed to take more time than I wanted to spend. To make warm-ups work, it has to be regular — if the students don’t know they’re supposed to be working on something every day, they will drift off.
- Do I want to do warm-ups with my seniors?
- How about putting a joke or a Lolz next to it?
- After reading how Infinite Sum arranges his room, I think I want to adapt his idea of having different groups doing different warm-up problems and then sharing them with the class. I could have each table do a different problem and then maybe have them work them on the board? Neat idea, though.
- Exit slips **sigh**
- I kind of like the notion (building from misscalcul8’s idea post) of having the exit slip be the next class warm-up. Hmmm.
- More “process” problems — give them the answers and have them tell me how to get it.
- Have students create examples
- Ask my seniors what their future career plans are and if they know what level or kind of math is involved
- Show video from a cricket match to illustrate the idea that one of the reasons they might think math is boring is because they don’t know the rules of the game.
- Since I’m planning on giving my Algebra 3 students more problems for homework, I think I will print up the solutions for them to check their work. In order to ensure that I get my solutions back, I think I will make 2 copies per table onto Astrobright paper and number each page (1A, 1B, 2A, etc.). I will then answer a limited number of questions. At the beginning of last year, I was really disciplined about keeping the question time short so that we could still do an “extension activity” after the quiz. I’d like to get back to that.