Reflections on This WeekSeptember 10, 2009
Somewhat at random:
- I’m finished with the SEEC proposal!!
- 2nd period did much better with a seating chart; although, it certainly helped that one of my more “active” students wasn’t there.
- 9th Graders do have to take TAKS. Bummer!
- I need to make sure that we don’t get so caught up in the methods that we forget the overall purpose. No matter how cool the sliding foldable I came up with was, there is no excuse for losing practically a whole day of instruction time to put it together. Simpler is better.
- Because we spent so much time on the rounding foldable, we weren’t able to spend enough time on probability. Although we got the basics covered, we weren’t able to spend enough time on things like combinations (AND, OR, and NOT) and replacement vs. non-replacement. I also just realized we never showed the NUMB3RS clip to 7th period or the Rosenkrantz and Gildenstern are Dead clip that S wanted to show. Maybe we can show them before the test?
- As I posted earlier, Battleship went really well. It may have been tooting my own horn, but I’m glad I asked B to come in and observe what we were doing. We’ve asked him to let us go off the reservation, and he deserved to see what he was being asked to support.
- I really like using the Beyond Question remotes. We used them yesterday and today for Geometry, and the kids seemed to be more involved. It also gave me a way to have them try to answer questions without the potential for being embarrassed. I want to make sure we don’t overdo it, but I definitely think it’s a valuable tool. I also like that I can then look up and see who answered what and gauge comprehension/participation.
- In general, we did fairly well staying ahead, but I think we got a little cocky (and I was too distracted by the SEEC thing) and forgot pieces of what we needed. I think I’d like to spend some time tomorrow making a detailed plan with S for next week (and the week after if possible) to make sure we have everything we need. Especially since progress report grades are due on Monday, and Open House is Monday night, I don’t want to be scrambling around.
- While I have made progress on clearing off my desk, there’re still way too many papers on it. I think tomorrow’s going to be one of those “I’m not leaving until my desk is clear”-type of Fridays.